Welcome to Stocktake Saturday! This feature is where I share some bookish news with you and then show you all the bookish goodies I got over the week.
The cover reveals from the last week – (links to Goodreads pages)
- The Falconer (The Falconer #1) by Elizabeth May – US cover by Chronicle Books. As usual I prefer the UK cover, but I love how powerful this is as well. And the hair. Love the hair.
- Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3)by Tahereh Mafi
- Crash (Twinmaker #2) by Sean Williams
- Fall (Twinmaker #3) by Sean Williams
- One Past Midnight by Jessica Shirvington – international edition of Between the Lives
- Mistborn (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson – repackaged for a YA audience by Tor Teen
- Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson
- Sublime by Christina Lauren
In Bookish News, there’s an Australian Amazon store now, although the only department it has so far is Kindle ebooks. Still, hopefully this means our prices will be cheaper or something … Check it out! Here’s an article that compares our prices to the US store (using the conversion rate as of 13th Nov 2013), which claims our prices are pretty competitive. But I’ve heard others say Australians are still expected to pay a lot more US or UK for the same books, so I’m undecided whether I’ll switch over from the US store.
I want to draw your attention to a wonderful cause: Authors for the Philippines. This is an online auction to raise money for the Red Cross’s Typhoon Haiyan Appeal. Amazing authors have offered up signed editions and ARCs of their books, which you can bid on, and proceeds go towards helping those who need it most.
Angry Robot has announced the acquisition of two books by the talented Madeline Ashby. Company Town, a new standalone novel, will be published in late 2014, and the third book in the Machine Dynasty series, will appear in 2015. They have also announced the acquisition of Kim Curran’s third Shifter book, Delete, through their YA imprint Strange Chemistry, with a release date of August 2014.
The writing duo who brought you the Beautiful Bastard series have announced a YA series! Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings, who write as Christina Lauren, are writing Sublime a story of two teens, Lucy and Colin, who fall in love, but the the problem is … Lucy’s a ghost. Publication is expected in the US Fall by Simon & Schuster, and you can see the cover above.
This week I’ve been Waiting on … The Unbound by Victoria Schwab. You can also enter two giveaways at the moment:
- Win one of 3 paperback copies of Man Made Boy by Jon Skovron — Ends Nov 18th, 2013
- Win a copy of Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken — Ends Nov 25th, 2013
The third post in my SpecFic101 series also went up this week, and I recommended YA reads for those who don’t normally read YA. Check it out here.
My book hauls, beginning as usual with the physical copies, thanks to Tor Books US, Harlequin AU and Hachette Children’s Books (links to Goodreads):
- Copperhead (Ironskin #2) by Tina Connolly
- Captivate by Vanessa Garden
- These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner – I’ve already read an e-ARC, but my finished copy arrived after getting lost in the mail. So pretty!
- Heist Society (Heist Society #1) by Ally Carter – OK so I struggled so much with Gallagher Girls, why do I have this? The wonderful publicist thought I’d enjoy this series a lot more and sent me the first book.
- Night Witches by L.J. Adlington
- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell and Ian Schoenherr (Illustrator)
- Empower (The Violet Eden Chapters #5) by Jessica Shirvington – this came with chocolate and tissues, so I guess I know what to expect!
And e-galleys from Netgalley and Edelweiss:
- The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines #4) by Richelle Mead – Penguin AU – AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
- The Emperor’s Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #1) by Brian Staveley – Tor – This was my WoW a while back, so you can imagine how excited I am!
Last time I was five books behind in my Read Three, Buy One scheme. This week I reviewed:
- [12 Nov] A Dance of Cloaks by David Dalglish ★★★½
- [13 Nov] United We Spy by Ally Carter
- [14 Nov] Wicked Kiss by Michelle Rowen
Which leaves me 2 books behind.
I hope you have some goodies to share as well, leave your links below and I’ll be sure to visit 🙂