Welcome to Stocktake Saturday! This feature is where I share some bookish news with you and then show you all the bookish goodies I got over the week.
The cover reveals from the last week – (links to Goodreads pages)
- Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
- Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth – US edition (out Sept 2014 from Thomas Dunne Books)
- Gemsigns ((R)evolution #1) by Stephanie Saulter – US edition (out May 2014 from Jo Fletcher Books)
- Take Me On (Pushing the Limits #4) by Katie McGarry – AU edition (out June 2014 from HarlequinAU)
- The Godless (Children #1) by Ben Peek
In Bookish News, you can now read the first few chapters of Joe Abercrombie’s upcoming Half a King on his website.
The title of the third book in Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds series has been revealed. Check out her post here. It will be called In the Afterlight, and the sentence the three titles make is “The darkest minds never fade in the afterlight”. Bracken also said that the novella, In Time, isn’t part of the sentence, but if she wrote another novella (which she’s seriously considering), the titles of the novellas would form their own sentence.
The cover-art for the new Australian editions of Sabriel and Lirael by Garth Nix have been revealed. The full covers, along with those of Abhorsen and then the upcoming Clariel, will be revealed soon, so check back next week. Who else is buying another set of these wonderful books?
The Hunt for Pierre Jnr by David M Henley is free this weekend. Grab it while you can!
This week’s reviews:
- [31 Mar] The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente ★★★★½
- [1 Apr] Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor ★★★★★
- [3 Apr] Disruption by Jessica Shirvington ★★★★★
- [4 Apr] All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry ★★★★
This week I’ve had Karen Healey, NZ author of When We Wake and While We Run over for an interview, and the blog tour for Disruption hop by, where Jessica Shirvington has told us five things we didn’t know about her. I also launched my new monthly newsletter. It all went off without a hitch (well OK, the program tried to send two newsletters at once, but I stopped it), and I’ve gotten the loveliest comments for it. It’s something I’m really proud of, so I hope you guys enjoy them too! And if you haven’t signed up yet, please sign up in the sidebar. The next one goes out 1st May!
The first week of the month means the Monthly Must Read has also changed – do check out my review of Dreams of Gods and Monsters guys (the spoilers are hidden behind the spoiler tags). If you’re not already reading this series, change that NOW!!
I’ll also be posting up my AWW YA SpecFic round up this week over at the Australian Women Writer’s Read Challenge website!
And some personal news, my PhD is GOING GREAT! It’s been about a month since I hit this massive slump, I’ve worked through it and we’re back to ‘everything is working’ territory. So yay! But to offset that awesome news, lots of rain recently means that the construction of our house has been delayed by another 4 weeks. Pro: we have more time to save money. Con: we were really hoping to be in the house before it really got cold in Canberra, which isn’t looking like its happening. Moving is going to be so much fun.
So this week will be absolutely epic for me (and many others, I think). Tonight I’m going to the Aurealis Awards – some of you may know I was on the judging panel for the Fantasy Short Story category this year. I’m really excited about this. I’ll take a camera and take tonnes of photos! And then on Wednesday I’m going to a media screening of Divergent. I am SO. EXCITED.
My book hauls, beginning as usual with the physical copies, thanks to Hachette Australia and Scholastic Australia (links to Goodreads):
- Illusion (Chronicles of Nick #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Nine (The Last Thirteen #5) by James Phelan
- Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood #1) by Victoria Scott
And e-galleys from Netgalley and Edelweiss:
- The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1) by Erika Johansen
- In a Handful of Dust ((Not a Drop to Drink #2) by Mindy McGinnis
- The Immortal Crown (Age of X #2) by Richelle Mead
- Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica
I hope you have some goodies to share as well, leave your links below and I’ll be sure to visit 🙂