Welcome to Stocktake Saturday! This feature is where I share some bookish news with you and then show you all the bookish goodies I got over the week.
The cover reveals from the last week – (links to Goodreads pages)
- Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms #3) by Morgan Rhodes
- The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles #4) by Kady Cross
- Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo.
- Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1) by Sara Raasch
- The Invisible (Brokenhearted #2) by Amelia Kahaney
- Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire #2) by Miriam Forster
- Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
- Blackbird (Blackbird Duology #1) by Anna Carey
- The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2) by Robert Galbraith
- Take Me On (Pushing the Limits #4) by Katie McGarry – US cover
- The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy #2) by Sherry Thomas
- PathFinder (TodHunter Moon #1) by Angie Sage
- Dead Zone (Blackout #2) by Robison Wells
- Catalyst (Insignia #3) by S.J. Kincaid
- Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories (Fire and Thorns 0.5-0.7) by Rae Carson
- Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy #3) by Sarah Rees Brennan
- Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin #3) by Robin LaFevers
- Invaded (Alienated #2) by Melissa Landers
- Emergent (Beta #2) by Rachel Cohn
In Bookish News, Bloomsbury has signed a deal with Sarah J. Maas for the fourth, fifth and sixth books in her acclaimed Throne of Glass series. The bind-up of the Throne of Glass novellas, called The Assassin’s Blade, will be available in March, and Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) will be available in September this year (cover hasn’t been revealed yet, but it does exist, so hopefully it’s soon!). Book Four doesn’t have a title yet. In the meantime, Sarah has been working another series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, the first book of which will be available mid-2015 via Bloomsbury.
The 2013 Aurealis Awards Finalists have been announced!! Check out my post here.
New covers for George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire books have been revealed. There go all my matching covers! Maybe a new set is in order :p They’ll be out in June in Australia, and there’s no news yet of a boxed set for the new covers.
Robert Galbraith (A.K.A. J.K. Rowling) is to publish a second novel starring detective Cormoran Strike. The sequel to The Cuckoo’s Calling, titled The Silkworm, will be coming to you via Hachette Books AU in June. The cover has also been revealed, and you can see it above.
Jo Fletcher Books have announced the acquisition of a two part series by Robert Jackson Bennett. The books will be titled The City of Stairs and The City of Blades. The City of Stairs, is “a sort-of spy novel set in a wonderfully dark and twisted world where the gods that once existed were all killed, and so obviously there can no longer be anything with godly powers …” and will be available from JFB in September (matching the US publication date).
Also in acquisitions news, Angry Robot have announced a two-book deal with Ishbelle Bee. They will be publishing the first book – The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath – in November, with a sequel to follow in July 2015. The first book is described as a “sumptuous fairytale for adults”, and the subtitle is “The Peculiar Adventures of John Loveheart, ESQ”. The blurb:
In the summer of 1887 my grandfather stole a clock.
It was six feet high
and the shape of a coffin.
1888. A little girl called Mirror and her shape-shifting guardian Goliath Honeyflower are washed up on the shores of Victorian England. Something has been wrong with Mirror since the day her grandfather locked her inside a mysterious clock that was painted all over with ladybirds. Mirror does not know what she is, but she knows she is no longer human.
John Loveheart, meanwhile, was not born wicked. But after the sinister death of his parents, he was taken by Mr Fingers, the demon lord of the underworld. Some say he is mad. John would be inclined to agree.
Now Mr Fingers is determined to find the little girl called Mirror, whose flesh he intends to eat, and whose soul is the key to his eternal reign. And John Loveheart has been called by his otherworldly father to help him track Mirror down …
The sequel to Samantha Shannon’s The Bone Season will be called … The Mime Order. It will be released on the 21st of October 2014.
I continued my Publisher QnA series this week, with the following publishers stopping by to answer questions about reviewing for them.
This week’s reviews:
- [17 Feb] Shadowplay by Laura Lam ★★★½
- [19 Feb] Afterworld by Lynnette Lounsbury ★★★★
- [20 Feb] A Dance of Blades by David Dalglish ★★
- [21 Feb] Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne ★★★★
Make sure you enter the giveaway for one of three copies of Afterworld if you’re an Aussie! Other upcoming giveaways include Ignite Me (The Juliette Chronicles #3) by Tahereh Mafi and The Last Shot (The Last Trilogy #2) by Michael Adams.
My book hauls, beginning as usual with the physical copies, thanks to Harlequin Australia and Bloomsbury Sydney (links to Goodreads):
And e-galleys from Netgalley and Edelweiss:
- Hexed (The Witch Hunter #1) by Michelle Krys
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3) by Laini Taylor
- The Sentinel (The Sundering #5) by Troy Denning
I also bought:
- The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris
I hope you have some goodies to share as well, leave your links below and I’ll be sure to visit 🙂